Re: FATFREE Digest V97 #144

> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 23:09:36 -0600 (MDT)
> From: SKINNERC@xxxxxxxx
> Subject: Can Pesto be Fat Free?
>
> Another question or two... different topic...
>
> I'm growing my own basil this year, originally planned to make my own pesto.
> This may be a silly question, but has anyone ever heard of a fat-free pesto???
> (Maybe "pesto" means "fat" in Italian?)
> How about a recipe for a pesto substitute so that I can use my basil?

I got some low fat, possibly fat free pesto recipes off of Michelle's Fat
Free Web Site recipe archive. http://www.fatfree.com

> Also... does anyone know how "tall" the basil plant should be before leaves can
> be used?
> Actually, the basil is hanging over the edge of the pots.  Is this supposed
> to be the way it grows?

My basil is about a foot tall now, and I have been using it since it was
about six inches tall!  I can't seem to use it fast enough!  I used my
dill for a couple of months, but now it is tall and scraggly and gone to
flower - I suppose I should have been pinching it down even when I wasn't
using it right away.

Sarah

Sarah Burns                       sburns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Instructional Services Librarian            (914)773-3381
Mortola Library
Pace University
Pleasantville, NY 10570