Re: email adverts

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:33:48 +0000  fran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Saron sent this to the list (in part). I am replying via the list,
> because I want to  *publicly defend* our excellent Michelle Dick and her
> invaluable list.
>
> I didn't get one, and to date I have not received any *spamming* of
> this nature which I could honestly say may have been picked up off
> the list.

I very much appreciate your vote of confidence.

However, ultimately there isn't much I can do to protect you all from
spammers (those who send bulk unsolicited email) who will harvest your
email address from this list (or from the list archives).  If it
hasn't happened yet, it probably will eventually.  Here I'm speaking
of email sent directly to you, not via the list -- I do have some (not
fool proof, but good) safeguards to keep spam from being posted to the
list.

If a member of this list spams and I have proof, then they will be
permenantly removed from this list.  If you suspect this, please email
me privately with evidence.  Note that it is usually not possible to
match a name from the spam with the member list because spammer's
conceal their address and usually have multiple ones.

There are things you can do to protect your email address, but that is
a topic for another forum.  In the meantime, if you post here, please
be aware that it makes your address available to anyone who subscribes
to the list or digs through the web archives.

--
Michelle Dick             artemis@xxxxxxxxx              East Palo Alto, CA