McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program

Over the past several digests I've seen several requests for information
about the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program.  I follow the program
and have had excellant results, however, I could not possibly imagine
being able to email someone all the information they would need to know
to follow the program effectively.  You really need to read the book for
yourself.

The essence of the program is that you eat a diet heavy on green and
yellow vegetable and some whole grains.  No processed grains are allowed
(i.e. bread, pasta, white rice, etc), no soy, no dairy, no eggs, no
oil, etc.

However, the book covers much more than just that.  It discusses why the
diet works, the importance of carbohydrates to your body, controlling
blood sugar for maximum weight loss, tactics for dealing with depression,
exercise information, and many, many other interesting and important
pieces of information.

While simply following the dietary suggestions may help you lose some
weight, you won't be able to explain your diet to others because you
won't even understand it yourself.  Friends and relatives are a lot more
interested in it as a possibility for themselves when I can
explain scientifically exactly why what I am doing works so well. And
show them that waht I am doing is not only safe, but is actually much
better for my body then the SAD diet plans. And they are frequently
reasured to know that after I reach and maintain my goal weight, I will
be able to eat bread, pasta, and soy again :-)
I also think it is much easier to stick to the plan if you yourself
understand completely why you are doing the things you are doing and how
they help you towards your goal.

If you are interested in trying the diet, then it really is absolutely
essential that you read the book.

The book is still in print, so if your local bookstore
doesn't have it they should be able to order it for you.  No money?  Try the
library...even if they don't have it, they may be able to get it for you
via inter-library loan.  Finally, even if you have no bookstores or
libraries with 300 miles of you, you can order it from several places on
the net like Amazon Books or even McDougall's Right Foods homepage.

Of course, this is all just my opinion, and you can take it or leave it
at will...

Kristin