Sushi fillings

Susan Lehman had mentioned that she needed more ideas for things to use for
sushi.  Two things I have tried have been lightly marinated portabello mushroom
slices - marinated in soy sauce or tamari.  Add this to a roll with steamed
asparagus.  As for Japanese pickle, this is most usually daikon, which when
pickled does turn a rather bizarre shade of yellow and is incredibly salty.
There are other types, a pickled cucumber that is soft and sweet, and often
served as a salad in the Japanese restaurant.  For using carrots, my method,
which I am sure is not optimum but it works for me, I julienne them and steam
them until just crisp crunchy.  They add a delightful crunch to the maki roll.