Re: Sourdough starter and bread/Crustless Pumpkin pie

>I know this was rehashed and reposted before, but unfortunately I never
>saved it. Anyway my daughter in South Korea is very keen on making bread
>and yoghurt and does not have access to starters. If anyone saved the
>detailed instructions on how to make, use and save the sourdough bread
>PLEASE send it to me. Also any idea on how to make yoghurt with soy milk
>and how to make yoghurt with any other milk if you don't have the
>starter?

Sourdough- there are envelopes of dried sourdough starter that one can buy
at fancy groceries or kitchen supply places. Perhaps you could send her one
of those?

If not, one can start sourdough by making mixing yeast flour & water,
leaving it out to rise, then using most of it to make bread, and leaving a
good bit in the fridge in a jar. Each time one makes bread, one feeds it
with additional flour & water, lets it rise sitting out uncovered, uses
most if it for the bread, but puts some in the fridge for next time.
Basically if one treats it like just like sourdough, it gradually becomes
sourdough as it catches indiginous yeasts, and it develops individual
character over time.

An easy pseudo-sourdough method is just to make your dough, knead it, then
let it rise *overnight in the fridge*. Next day punch it down & knead, let
it rise & warm up, shape it into loaves, let them rise a bit, then bake.
The long slow rise gives it a richer, sour flavor. This works best if you
don't give the dough much sweetener, but do give it a fair bit of salt.
This is also a great method for pizza dough, btw -- it can stay in the
fridge for a few days, and get used gradually.

As for yogurt, sometimes soymilk turns into yoghurt on its own, just
sitting in the fridge. Buy enough to let a bit curdle, and when it does
smell it. You'll recognize it when you get yogurt -- where I am it happens
maybe one out of 5 times. Again it's a matter of indiginous microorganisms,
this time acidophillus (spell?) bacteria which happened to get into soymilk
when it was made. That's were yogurt (& yeasted bread) came from in the
first place -- lucky accidents.

If that seems too haphazard, how about using the acidophillus that comes in
capsules in the vitamin section of the HFS? Maybe you could send her a
bottle of those? Has anyone used them to start yogurt? Is it the right kind
of acidophillus (however you spell it..)?

Noel