Maple-Lemon-Pear Cake
From: 500 Fat-Free Recipes by Sarah Schlesinger

1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 1/2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
1 Tbsp. arrowroot dissolved in 1/4 cup skim milk (I used cornstarch with milk)
1 large pear, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. maple extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use a 9 x 13-inch nonstick baking pan or
line a baking pan with a baking pan liner or lightly coat with nonstick
spray.

Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl. Stir
in lemon peel, yogurt, skim milk with arrowroot, pear, and vanilla and
maple extracts until well combined.

Transfer batter to baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick
inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cut into 12 pieces.

Calories per serving: 140
Fat:  .2 g
Cholesterol:  .6 mg
Protein:  2 g
Carbohydrates:  32 g
Dietary fiber:  .7 g
Sodium:  93 mg

Nutmeg-Cinnamon Baked Pears

4 large pears, peeled, cored, and quartered
1/2 cup apple juice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place pears in a baking dish with the apple
juice. Sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon. Cover baking dish with foil. Bake
for 30 minutes. Serves 4.

Calories per serving:  116
Fat:  .9 g
Cholesterol:  0 mg
Protein:  .7 g
Carbohydrates:  29 g
Dietary fiber:  4 g
Sodium:  3.3 mg

Poached Pears in Orange Sauce

1 1/2 cups orange juice
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup honey
3 Tbsp. grated orange peel
4 pears, peeled, halved, and cored

Combine orange juice, lemon juice, honey, and orange peel in a small
saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Add pear halves, cover, and simmer for 15
minutes or until pears are tender. Remove pears from pan. Simmer sauce for
5 more minutes. Pour sauce over pears and chill until serving time. Makes 4
servings.

Calories per serving:  274
Fat:  .9 g
Cholesterol:  0 mg
Protein:  1 g
Carbohydrates:  70 g
Dietary fiber:  5 g
Sodium:  3.8 mg

Bethann Dennis Watson     ~    Technical Editor      ~    Cisco Systems, Inc.

Genius is nothing but a greater aptitude for patience.
          -Georges Louis Leclerc de Buffon