Soup Recipe Needed

My husband does volunteer cooking once a week at a soup kitchen.  On
Thanksgiving the soup kitchen gets more than the average number of guests but
with the same limited space.  Because we are in the northeast and the weather
will probably be cold, my husband would like to make a thick soup that can be
served to the guests as they wait outside to come in and have dinner.  The
problem is he wants to serve it in cups without utentiles to be consumed like
a beverage and yet be hearty.  Any suggestions?
Sheila