Black bean stew

I made this black bean stew for dinner last night and it was great!  Even my
husband liked it, and he's been increasingly picky lately . . .

I got the recipe from the new McDougall quick and easy cookbook; my
modifications/comments are in parentheses:

Black Bean and Tofu Stew

1 block lowfat firm silken tofu (I used Mori Nu Lite extra firm)
1 can (15oz) black beans (didn't say whether drained/rinsed; I drained but
didn't rinse)
1 can (14.5oz) Italian style stewed tomatoes
1 (4oz) can sliced mushrooms

Cube the tofu, and combine everything in a med-sized saucepan.  Cook on
med-low for 30 min.  Serves 2.

--I think my tofu cubes were about 2cm square, and they seemed a little
large . . . next time I'd prob. cut them a little smaller.  Also, I have an
electric stove with no med-low setting, so I cooked on med. uncovered, and
for a little more than 30 min.

This recipe seems like it would be very adaptable to whatever you have in
the way of veggies . . . next time I might add some cooked potatoes and/or
zucchini.  Also, you could use any kind of stewed tomatoes (Mexican, cajun,
etc.)

It also made more than 2 servings, IMO.  We are going to have the leftovers
over baked potatoes for dinner tonight.

Cheers!

Chris

Christine Ingle