A soup recipe and a couple of broths

The request for a Thanksgiving soup got me digging for my standard
split-pea soup recipe, so I thought I'd post it, along with my favorite
veggie broth recipe. These recipes are adapted from The Vegetarian Epicure,
book 2, by Anna Thomas. She has wonderful recipes, though most have
far too much fat in them to be adapted sucessfully. The split-pea and
broth recipes are well tested, though I have made some adjustments to
the amount of added veggies  for the Split-Pea soup (I use less than she,
to let the split pea taste come through more, plus add my secret ingredient,
liquid smoke.  All are vegan, which should make everyone happy :-)

Enjoy!
---

Split-Pea Soup <T>
Serves 6-8

1 lb dried green split peas
3 qts water
1 c. finely chopped carrots (originally 1 1/2 c)
1 c finely chopped potato (recipe calls for sweet; I usually use Russets)
1/2 c. finely chopped onion (originally 1 c)
1/2 c. finely chopped celery
1 tsp ground basil
1/2 tsp ground marjoram
1-2 cloves crushed or minced garlic
1/2 tsp cumin (Ive been leaving this out;  my SO doesn't like cumin)
1/2 c. dry white wine (use a semi-decent wine for this, if you can)
1/2-1 tsp liquid smoke (adjust to taste- my brand is pretty concentrated)
salt and pepper to taste

Put peas and water in a large pot, bring to a boil, then lower heat and
cook for about an hour. The peas won't quite be tender yet. Skim off the
foam from the top and discard it.

Meanwhile saute the carrots, potatos, onions, and celery in water
until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and herbs, cook another 5
minutes, then add to the soup. Simmer the soup another hour or so,
stirring occasionally, until the peas are finally tender. This may take
longer than an hour if the peas were a little old to begin with.

Ladle out about half the soup, and puree it in a blender or food
processor. Return it to the pot, stir in the wine, liquid smoke,
salt and pepper, and adjust seasonings to taste. Bring soup back to
a simmer, then serve.

-----
Pototo Peel Broth & Garlic Broth <T>

These are very good basic stocks. The garlic broth is particularly good
by itself on cold days when you have a slight head cold in need of
clearing :-) Except for oil, which I omitted, this recipe is directly from
the book.

Potato Peel Broth
about 6 cups

peels from 6-7 large brown-skinned potatoes (no green!), perhaps 3+ lbs
1 large onion
2 carrots
1 medium stalk celery
2 qts water
1 large sprig parsley (I've used dried in a pinch, but fresh is best)
1/2-1 bay leaf (I use 1/2 California laural bay leaf, which is strong)
1/4 tsp dried whole thyme (I've also used a small sprig of fresh)
pinch of sage
salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic (optional)
dash of Tabasco (optional-- I leave it out)
dash of lemon juice (optional-- I like it)

First scrub the potatoes very throroughly and cut away any blemishes,
then peel them into thick strips at least 1/4 inch thick. Use peeled
potatoes in another recipe. Peel the onion and quarter it, Wash carrots
and celery and slice.

Combine all ingedients but Tabasco sauce and lemon juice in a large
stock pot and simmer for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or until the veggies are
really soft. Add water as needed to the pot to keep the veggies covered
with liquid. There should be about 6 cups of broth when done, so add
water sparingly. The broth will be done when it tastes just right :-) simmer
it a little longer if it seems weak, or add a little water if it seems
strong.

For a clear broth, strain out all the veggies with a sieve, and adjust
seasonings as needed. For a thin puree, fish out the celery, garlic, and
bay leaf, then press everything through a sieve until a dry pulp is left
(I cheat and run it through the food processor). Lastly, add a dash of
Tabasco and/or lemon juice, if desired.

Garlic Broth <T>

Make the Potato Peel Broth above, adding an entire head of garlic in place
of the single clove. Break up the head of garlic and mash the cloves just
a little (no need to peel it). This is better as a clear broth, IMHO.
The recipe calls for 11/2 T olive oil, but I never miss it.