Thanksgiving stuffed acorn squash

For those of you have who have asked for Thanksgiving recipes,  here is
one I modified from Steven Raichlen's High-Flavor Low-Fat Vegetarian
Cooking cookbook. It  has wonderful  flavor and it's a very attractive
dish.

Thanksgiving Stuffed Acorn Squash:

4 small acorn squash (Recipe suggests orange squash; I used green)
1/2 cup currents (If you don't have currents, you could
probably                   substitute raisins)
1 cup warm vegetable stock or as needed
2 onions, finely chopped
4 stalks celery, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup finely diced peeled apple
1-1/2 cups corn kernels (This is optional - I didn't use it.)
1-1/4 cups very coarse fresh bread crumbs or finely diced bread
5 Tbsp. chopped fresh herbs - can use flat-leaf parsley, basil,
tarragon, thyme, and/or sage.
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
salt and freshly ground pepper
(Additional broth or wine for sauteing -The recipe  calls for 1-1/2
Tbsp. olive oil, which I omitted.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut squashes in half crosswise. Take out seeds. Cut a small slice from
the top and bottom  so they will stand straight. Bake, cut side down, on
a baking sheet oiled with spray until soft, about 40 minutes.  Transfer
to cake rack to cool.
    For stuffing, plump the currents in the vegetable broth or stock for
10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook onions, celery, and garlic in broth or wine
over medium heat until soft. Add apple and corn, if using, and cook
about three minutes.
   Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in the bread crumbs,
herbs, lemon zest, currants with the stock, and salt and pepper to
taste. The mixture should be highly seasoned, and moist but not wet. Add
stock or salt as needed and spoon into the baked squashes.
   (The recipe can be prepared ahead to this point.)
   Just before serving, bake the stuffed squashes at 375 degrees until
thoroughly heated, 15 to 20 minutes.  Makes 8 servings.

   The illustration for this recipe shows each   halved squash
decoratively cut on top in a zig-zag pattern. I didn't attempt it,
but when they are cut in half, the zig-zag shape of the squash itself
makes it very attractive. And being able to prepare most of it ahead
makes this a great addition to the Thanksgiving menu.

Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone!
Margaret