Creamy Lentil Soup/Whole Wheat Bread

Last night I prepared this wonderful lentil soup and we loved it! The
original recipe came from the "Cooking Light" MasterCook CD. I modified the
recipe to make it fat free (original recipe called for olive oil, 2 percent
milk, and chicken broth) and the result was rich and delicious.

Baked a loaf of whole wheat bread (called Marilyn's Everyday Health Bread)
to go with the soup, so I've included that recipe as well. The bread recipe
is from "Bread Machine Magic" by Rehberg and Conway, and I replaced the
butter with applesauce. The bread was lovely.

A tossed green salad would go well with this meal.

For dessert we had a fruit salad (pear, apple, honeydew melon, banana,
kiwi, and a bit of lemon juice).

Hope you enjoy the soup and bread as much as we did!

Bethann

Creamy Lentil Soup
Serves 9

Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup sliced carrot
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups water
1 cup dried lentils
1/3 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
27 1/2 oz. vegetable broth (2 cans)
8 oz. no-salt-added tomato sauce (1 can)  [I used 6 oz. tomato paste,
omitted the 1/2 tsp. salt and added 1/2 cup water]
2 cups nonfat milk

Coat a large Dutch oven with nonstick spray. Place over medium-high heat
until hot. Add carrot and onion; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add water
and next 7 ingredients; stir well. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and
simmer 45 minutes or until lentils are tender.

Pour half of the lentil mixture in a blender and puree. Pour pureed mixture
into a bowl and puree second half of the lentil mixture. Return all of the
pureed mixture to the Dutch oven; stir in milk. Cook over low heat until
thoroughly heated.

Marilyn's Everyday Health Bread
1-lb. loaf [measurements for 1 1/2-lb. loaf in brackets]

7/8 cup water (for Welbilt machine add 1 Tbsp. more water)  [1 1/4
cups---Welbilt add 2 Tbsp.]
1 cup whole wheat flour  [1 1/2 cups]
1/2 cup whole grains*   [1/2 cup]
1 tsp. salt  [1 1/2 tsp.]
1 Tbsp. applesauce  [1 1/2 Tbsp.]
2 Tbsp. sugar  [3 Tbsp.]
1 Tbsp. nonfat dry milk powder  [1 1/2 Tbsp.]
2 tsp. active dry yeast  [2 tsp.]

Place all ingredients in bread pan, select Light Crust setting, and press Start.

After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on cake rack, and
allow to cool 1 hour before slicing.

*The 1/2 cup whole grains could be: 1/2 cup oats; 1/4 cup oats 1/4 cup
miller's bran, 2 Tbsp. each miller's bran, oats, cracked wheat, and oat
bran; or any amount of various grains equal to 1/2 cup.

Bethann Dennis Watson     ~    Technical Editor      ~    Cisco Systems, Inc.

Restlessness is discontent, and discontent is the first necessity
of progress.
          -Thomas Edison