Cornmeal Sandy?

Hi,

I love things like cornbread, cornmeal mush, etc.  Recently my mom gave
me a Folger's can full of cornmeal that was given to her a long time
ago.  I have made a few things using it but the texture seems off, it
seems sort of "sandy" (when made into mush-type things, cornbread is
still okay.).  Is this just the grind?  Does anyone know what I mean?  I
would like to know if this is how it's supposed to be or if I am
justified in buying new stuff.

Rachel