Re: "Gimme Lean"

On 21 Oct 1997 GORDON.SHARON@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I've seen this product "Gimme Lean" mentioned a few times in this list and
> recently saw it in my grocery store. I was afraid to buy it because I
> didn't know how to use it or if it was any good. Any suggestions?

I like the sausage Gimme Lean, but I've never tried the other kind
(ground beef sub, I think).  I thought it was the best sausage sub that
I'd tried (and not just because the name is cute).

The only use I have for sausage is when I make what my mom called reuben
runzas.  When we lived in Lincoln, Neb. when I was little, we learned
about runzas (spelling?  ethnicity?  information appreciated) which are
shaped like calzones, but filled with a mixture of sausage, shredded
cabbage and grated carrots.  Very hearty, spicy and satisfying.  My mom
didn't like making all the little pockets, so she makes one big loaf of
bread (like a reuben loaf) stuffed with the filling.

Anyway, Gimme Lean is the only sausage sub I know that is good when it's
mixed in something else.  The others seem to be designed for patties
rather than crumbles.  It would probably work well in a faux sausage
gravy as well.

Recipe information:  OK I don't have an exact recipe for reuben runzas,
but if you saute 1 pkg Gimme Lean with about 1/2 head shredded cabbage,
and enough grated carrots (3?) to add color (add black pepper if you
like it spicier), that's about the right amount of filling for 2 loaves
of bread.

Other recipe information:
I got lots of requests for the jerk tofu and brown sugar angel food cake
recipes I mentioned the other day.  My friend is getting me the cake
recipe, so I should be able to post them later this week.

Susan "Someone tell me how to spell runza!" Lehman
UNC-CH
Go Heels!