The great uninformed public....

Can you tell I am catching up on my email?  My server went down for 5 days...

>Hi all!  I just wanted to pass on something that happened to me today.
>I've lost 79 pounds since January.  Since I'm a receptionist at a
>country club, I need something easy to munch on; I like pretzels.  One
>of the members of the club (whom has remarked to me about my weight
>loss) walked by when I had a mouthful.  He said, "Hey!  You're not
>supposed to be eating anything!"  Astonished and a little disgusted, I
>said, "No!  I eat A LOT!  You gotta eat!"  I'm so sick of unlightened
>people who don't realize you don't have to starve to lose weight.

First of all, congratualtions on such a magnificent weight loss.

Secondly, I think it is just plain rude of people to make comments about
weight, food etc.  Compliments are one thing, unsoicited advice another.
We are very rude in the USA about making comments on people's eating
choices.  If I eat at a restaraunt with a friend, my skinny friend wolfs
down her entire meal while eat routinely take home 1/2 of my carefully
selected choice.  Inevitably, said friend seems to think it is perfectly ok
to make some comment like" I don;t understand why you are so heavy when you
eat so little,"  I **suppose** that is meant to be sympathetic and
supportive, but that's not how it feels.

I eat when I am hungry,  I take my time over what I eat and I make
healthful choices.  I am still heavy.  Inevitably, someone somewhere makes
a comment.  I don;t like being heavy, but evidently that is the price I
myust pay for taking a precribed anti-depressant that put over 100 pounds
on me in 6 months that I can't get rid of.

Unsolicited comments from the uninformed or those who think they are
informed, are very hurtful.  Obviously, I can't change their behaviors, but
I do inform them that their remarks are painful.  Usually they come up with
some reason why I shouldn't find their remarks painful.  I find these are
not people with whom I choose to pursue a friendship.

Gloriamarie     gma@xxxxxxxx
In La Mesa, CA, 1 town east of San Diego where, hallelujah, we once againn
have ...sigh...perfect weather and a lovely breeze and not so darned hot!!