plastic vs. wood

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Michael R. Hamm wrote:

> intuitively, they may seem more hygenic, in fact they are not!!...
> ... I say, throw out your plastic boards and stay with wood.

I do generally prefer wooden cutting boards, but the big advantage of the
plastic ones people have been talking about is flexibility.

Also, if you aren't cutting raw meat on your cutting board, bacterial
growth is much less of an issue.  (I get totally paranoid about bacteria
once every 6 months or so when my husband decides to cook some meat at
home, but he bleaches everything afterward.  Since studying
epidemiology, he's paranoid too. :)

So keep whichever cutting board you like!  Just don't leave the plastic
ones on the hot stove.

Also, thanks to everyone who gave me ideas for my non-weird potluck
dishes.  I went with a risotto--the risotto Florentine from the archives,
though I added mushrooms and cooked it in my pressure cooker.  One hour,
start to finish!  It was great.  It's definitely a challenge when cooking
for a group which includes both vegan and SAD eaters.

Thanks again,

Susan Lehman
UNC-Chapel Hill
Go Heels!