Re: jalapeno peppers

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, <HollyTline@xxxxxxx> wrote
>Does anyone out there have some SIMPLE suggestions for
>what to do with copious amounts of jalapeno peppers?

Hello- I believe capsicum peppers add more flavor punch per
calorie than anything else. You can clean and chop and freeze
some in air-tight containers to pull out for sauces later on.
Or here is a pickled pepper recipe. Decorate the jars and put
your own label on them for unique holiday gifts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PICKLED PEPPERS
Using fresh Jalapeno peppers, blanch peppers for 3 minutes in
boiling water. To prevent collapsing, puncture each pepper.
Add the following ingredients to a pint jar packed with the
blanched peppers before cooling occurs.

1/4 medium-sized garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon of onion flakes
1 small or medium bay leaf
1/8 teaspoon of ground oregano
1/8 teaspoon of thyme leaf (not seed)
1/8 teaspoon of marjoram
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (olive, refined sesame, corn)

Cover with boiling brine solution prepared as follows:
Mix together:
3 tablespoons sugar
9 tablespoons salt
2 pints water
2 pints vinegar (5 percent)

Close the containers and process 10 minutes in boiling water,
then cool. Note: Jalapenos must be hot when brine solution is
added. The addition of carrot slices adds color to the product.

Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.farmerspick.com
"Eat leeks in tide and garlic in May, and all the year after,
physicians may play." - proverb