re: cooking chickpeas

Susan,

I've cooked dried chickpeas before with great success.  I let them soak
in the refrigerator for about 24 hours (maybe longer, I don't recall)
and then cooked them for quite awhile on the stove at a full boil (I
believe it was about 3 hours), but they were perfect and soft, just like
the canned ones ... but without all that salt!

Good luck with your chick peas ... I wouldn't give up if I were you, the
ends definately justifies the means in this case.

Leah