Bread, seitan, and chickpeas

Thanks, Robin Brightman, for the Web location for bread machine recipes.
I'll check it out.

Regarding JBennicoff's method of making seitan--be careful when using
warm water from the tap in food preparation. My understanding is that
hot and warm water work to leach lead from pipes and solders.

I've never had a problem cooking chickpeas--in fact, I find them to be
almost as quick cooking as pinto beans. Soak overnight, drain, cover
with water to about an inch above the chickpeas, bring to a boil, then
lower heat to simmer. Keep an eye on them to make sure they are always
covered with water. I generally have totally cooked chickpeas in less
than an hour. Here's a recipe using them:

Curried Chickpeas and Zucchini with Cous-Cous

2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small zucchini, sliced
2 small tomatoes, chopped
2 cups cooked chickpeas
2/3 cup raisins
1 cup cous-cous
1 1/2 cups reserved liquid from cooking chickpeas

"Dry fry" the spices a few minutes, stirring constantly. Add the onion
and garlic and saute in as much of your favorite saute liquid as
necessary to keep them from sticking. (I use reserved liquid from
cooking chickpeas.) When onions are translucent, add the zucchini. Cover
and cook a few minutes, steaming the zucchini somewhat. Add the
chickpeas, tomatoes, and raisins. Cook until the veggies are done to
your satisfaction.

In the meantime, boil 1 1/2 cups of liquid (water will do if you don't
have reserved cooking liquid or broth). Add the cous-cous, stir, remove
from heat, and let sit 5 to 10 minutes, until all the liquid is
absorbed.

Serve the curry over the cous-cous.

Variation: Substitute spinach for the zucchini (but this time of year,
of course, we're all desperately searching for zucchini recipes!).

Diane
brooksong@xxxxxxxx