Re: Cast-iron cookware

>> I got a cast-iron pot as a gift, and I'm trying
>> to figure out if I want to keep it or not.
>> If you use cast-iron cookware, please let me know
>> why you like/dislike it.  What do you cook in it?
>> I don't have a clue.

Personally I love my cast iron skillet.  Never had a pot, but my mother does
and she uses hers to cook beans.  It is very important with cast iron
cookware that you "season" it.  The way to do this is to put a light coating
of oil on the inside of the pot and put it on the stove (or in the oven) on
low heat for at least 15 minutes.  Then wipe out the oil with a paper towel.

When I first got my skillet I would do this procedure at least once a week,
now that I have had it a few years it is perfectly seasoned and my favorite
piece of cookware.

Some things to keep in mind about cast iron are never ever soak it in water
for an extended period of time (remember iron rusts).  Whenever I cook
something in my skillet that has gotten stuck on I just put some water in
the pot, put it on medium high heat for a few minutes and whatever is stuck
justs cooks off (just make sure to put about half the level of the pot or
skillet full of water). --\______/--water level.

Don't even bother trying to clean the out side of the pot unless you have
one of those new-fangled smooth models.  Just wipe down the outside, get the
inside clean and then put the pot on the stove on low to dry it (it'll ruin
your dishtowels unless you only dry the inside).

Anyway, as you can see, caring for cast iron cookware is a different ball of
wax from any other type of cookware.  But the good thing about it is that it
wears like....well like iron.  If you take good care of your pot your great
grandchildren could still be using it eventually.  (I have my husbands
grandmothers and it is wonderful:)  Give it on honest try and remember that
seasoning the pot doesn't add fat to your diet cause you wipe all of the fat
off.  It does create a good coating to make cooking in your cookware a
breeze.

Tuffy