FF: Scrambled tofu

Onje of us wrote:  I had some success with a recipe for a tofu "egg" salad
sandwich a few
>weeks ago, and now wanted to try a scrambled "egg" tofu.  I saw a
>seasoning mix for just this thing, but it was rather expensive,

Ain't it the truth!!  And being the Opinionated Chef that I am, these kinds
of "conveninece" products really annoy me because they leave open the
question of what is in them exactly.  And they surely are expensive.   Also
as far as I am concerned the marketing mentaility behind such a product is
one that thinks the the American vegetarian cook is too stupid to kopw how
to get around the blandness of tofu.  Ok, granted the novice vegetarian may
not know, but there is this list we are all on...

I served the first and folks were convinced they were eating eggs.  I don't
know how they thought that, but I received compliments on my eggs.

never made the second but they are both on the same page.   both presented
more or less as written in THE TOFU BOOK" The New Amwerican Cuisine by Joan
Paino and Lisa Messinger

Scrambled Tofu with Mushrooms and Peppers

1 med onopn, diced
8 med mushrooms, sliced
1/2 gr or red pepper
1/4 t sea salt
1 lb soft tofy
1/4 t tumeric

spray skillet with whatever cooking spray you use.  saute onion, as
mushrooms, papper and sea salt.  Stirr til tender..  Add tofu, mash it
around a bit til it comes to recembles bits of scrambled eggs.  continue to
saute for 5-8 min adding the tumeric as it cooks and gives it that yellw
scrambled egfg color.

I am sure I added black pepper, oregano and whatever herbs I felt like
adding at the moment. Play around with it.

Scrambled Tofu and Corn
2 T water
2 lbs soft tofu, crumbled
3 C fresh sweet corn (or frozen, defrosted)
sea salt
1/4 sliced scallions

heat 2 T water in a pot and add tofu,  dumpo the corn in on top and
sprinkle with a little sea salt.  cover and cok over a low flame for 3-4
min.  do not overcook,

Mix in the scallions after the tofu has cooled sufficiently (which keeps
them bright green) and serve.

--
Gloriamarie, 1/2 of Partners in Twine, enjoying San Diego's Perpetually
Perfect Weather

"The moral is, build up that stash. You never know when you're
going to need to knit a scarf for the Dalai Lama." Jean Miles, Edinburgh
mailto:gma@xxxxxxxx