french fries

Someone may have been referring to the Rolling Stone article
"Fast Food Nation" pt 2 which discussed the big business
style of potato farming and distributing as well as other aspects of
what this farmer's daughter calls "where does that fast "food" stuff
come from anyway?"  While it mentioned some of MacDonald's methods
I could find only mentions of using "boiling oil" at the plants that
actually sell the frozen (already fried once) fries to the fast food
companies.
I may have missed a line that said vegetable or animal. It is an
excellent article and I hope to get a chance to get my hands on
pt. 1 of the article someday!