Gardner's Pie

Hello everyone,
      Hope you've all got back into the routine after all the
festivities!
  Someone posted a recipe gor "Guts" a few days ago well I can't get
some of the ingredients here in the UK so I made some adjustments and it
turned out pretty good.

1 cup bulgar wheat precooked
Mixed beans kidney black eyed etc (I used salad/casserole beans which is
                                   a mix of 7 types of beans soaked
                                   overnight and precooked
1 15oz can chopped tomatoes
1/2 tsp powdered garlic (but you could use fresh)
1 medium chopped onion
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
Cook bulgar wheat
Saute onion garlic/powder in water or veg bouillon add tomatoes and
mixed beans and spices and season to taste.Cover pan(I used a large
frying pan)When everything is tender remove from heat and add bulgar
wheat.Serve with salad or vegetables of your choice.

I also have a recipe for Gardner's Pie (shepherd's pie without the
m**t!)I have give this recipe to friends and family and it seems to be
popular,nice and filling
I'm afraid it's one of those recipes where you will need to guestimate
how much of most things you need as it will depend on the size portion
you are going to make,but it's very easy.Sometimes I make one large pie
or two smaller individual size ones.
In a large frying pan with a lid
Saute 1 medium/large chopped onion
Crushed garlic to taste   use water or vegetable stock to saute
Add 1 15oz tin button mushrooms
Add frozen mixed vegetables sufficient for the size dish you are using
Add tin chopped tomatoes
I also add some diced courgette/zucchini
Season with salt and pepper and spice of choice
Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender but not overcooked.There
should be some liquid but not too much or the potatoes will sink!!
Boil some peeled potatoes (sufficient to cover the dish)When cooked
mash(I add ground black pepper and some soya milk to slightly cream the
potatoes but this is not necessary)
Place vegetables in dish and cover with mashed potatoes.I like to
garnish with sliced tomatoes and you could also add some grated FF
cheese if you're allowed(I've never tried this but it sounds nice :0)
Place in oven at gas mark 5/375F and cook until heated through and
potatoes are starting to brown.
Serve with salad or an assortment of vegetables of your choice e.g.
cauliflower, brussel sprouts,broccoli etc.
I always make more of the vegetable mix than needed and add it to cooked
rice(I use brown) or bulgar wheat and use the mixture to stuff bell
peppers and bake in the oven at 375F until peppers are cooked or just
use the rice/bulgar/vegetable mix to accompany salad or vegetables or as
a cold rice salad.
I like my food spicy so I use paprika(I use a lot but to taste)or
Italian seasoning added to the vegetable mixture when cooking.
If you do not like a lot of tomatoes use a vegetable stock cube or
bouillon powder.I should think you could thicken it with a little
arrowroot so your vegetable base is in a brown gravy.(I've not used the
veg mix in gravy to stuff peppers but I don't see why it couldn't be
used.
Regards
Maralyn