Non-dairy cheeses

     Laura:

     My favorite brand of non-fat, non-dairy cheese is Soya Kaas. They make
     several flavors, including cheddar and mozzarella. They also make a
     few kinds of cheese that have a bit more fat in them, but not too
     much. The only problem is that I'm not sure if they are completely
     vegan. The cheese may contain casein, which is animal-derived (someone
     please correct me if I am wrong). Another brand that I have used is
     Tofurella, but it doesn't melt as well or taste as good as the Soya
     Kaas, IMHO.

     I also use a nearly fat-free, rice-based parmesan cheese substitute,
     but I can't remember the brand name. I find it near the tofu and other
     soy products in my grocery store.

     And good old nutritional yeast is always a good vegan substitute for
     cheese. (It won't melt though!)

     Good luck going vegan, Laura. There are plenty of substitutes for
     dairy out there that will keep you satisfied and not craving dairy.
     Try a brand of non-dairy ice cream called Sweet Nothings. It is
     non-fat and very creamy. You'll never know that it's non-dairy.
     Sharon's, Haagen-Dazs, and Ben and Jerry's all make very good sorbets.
     (Try Haagen-Dazs chocolate sorbet. Yum!!)

     Jenny Pihonak
     pihonak@xxxxxxxx