fruit soup

Hi Everyone -

When my mother was here over the holidays from Minnesota, my kids wanted her
to make one of their favorite recipes of hers: fruit soup. It's supposed to be
Swedish. Here's how she did it:

Fruit Soup

Stew the following until tender:
Prunes
Dried apricots
Apples
1-2 Tbsp tapioca
1-2 Tbsp sugar
Any other fruits you like

When done, add 2 cans of pie cherries. Some people eat whipping cream on it,
but we bought Lite Cool Whip. Probably FF vanilla ice cream or yogurt would be
good too. Sorry I can't be more definite about the amounts.

Regarding expensive food items, like saffron. Since my husband's retired and
I'm not, he does the shopping and has absolutely refused to buy saffron
because of its cost. So I basically just ignore any recipes that call for it.
I wonder if he'd be willing to buy some if I promised to use just a tiny
amount....  Anyway I wanted to make the recipe posted here a couple of weeks
ago for Chinese porridge, so I put shiitake mushrooms on the list. He didn't
get them. He said they were $4/oz and since the recipe called for 10 ounces,
that's $40! So I used regular mushrooms and some enoki mushrooms. And it was
really delicious and was a big hit with my family!

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas and recipes!

Zoe Sodja
Santa Cruz