Fudge! (well, maybe...)

Hi, campers!  My loving hubby gave me the MacDougall Quick and Easy
Cookbook for Christmas (there were some very broad hints dropped...), and,
chocoholic that I am, it took me no time flat to find the recipe entitled
"Fat-Free Fudge".  Naturally, I had to try it.  Well, it certainly made a
rich, thick chocolate sauce (said hubby loved it over ice cream), but it
never hardened into what I would call fudge.  Maybe some of you culinary
sleuths can figure out what went wrong.  My theory: maybe you HAVE to use
lowfat soymilk, rather than fatfree, as I did.  Here's the recipe:

3 Tbsp. low-fat soymilk
3 Tbsp carob powder
6 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
dash of salt

Combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave on high for 60
seconds.  Stir, let rest for 30 seconds, microwave on high for 10 seconds,
let rest for 30 seconds; repeat the 10- and 30-second cycle two more times.
 Let cool and enjoy.

What I did: the footnote suggests substituting lowfat cocoa powder for the
carob, which I did.  I used fatfree soymilk.  It was still only slightly
thickened when I finished the heating-and resting cycles, so I put it in
the freezer for a little while.  When I came back it was hardly changed, so
I left it in the fridge (not freezer) all night.  Didn't touch it all next
day.  The next evening it was thick enough not to "pour" over the ice
cream, but it was definitely spoon material rather than knife material.
I'm still pouting; I wanted a nice square of fudge!

--Ruth

Ruth C. Hoffman     ruthhoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes."  --Marcel Proust