Re: uses for silken tofu

Tofu is a subject that I have learned alot about over the past 3 years - since
my husband went vegetarian.  Now that I have kids, I buy dozens of boxes at a
time when it is on sale.

Silken tofu (Mori-nu brand) is generally used for puddings, dips, dressings.
Best luck is to blend it in a (black & decker) handy chopper or a food
processor - it is hard to make a pudding smooth enough in a blender (too
thick).

Here is a vegi dip which I intend to try this week:

1 package MoriNu lite firm tofu
1 tsp dry dill
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp soy sauce
blend, add water as needed.

Note: since you have to add water, I don't see why you couldn't use the soft
tofu for this.

Tofu "Cream" ( use as a topping for berries, or with min-choc chips :)
This recipe is adapted from "TOFY: QUICK AND EASY cookbook by Louise Hagler.

1 10-oz box of firm or extra firm tofu
1/4 cup oil (reduce or omit as desired)
1/3 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp, or a few shakes, of salt
Blend till smooth and creamy
Double this recipe as required and as capacity of equipment dictates.

Note: my kids LOVE this.  I omit the oil for my husband and myself, then split
out a portion and add oil for the kids.
Fruit "Pudding"
also adapted from above source

a cup of blueberries
a box of tofu
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt

Blend, and put in custard cups.  Very good to put a ginger snap (crumbled or
not) into the bottom of each dish.  Serve garnished with whole berries if
desired.

Note: this is very creamy if served immediately; if it sets for an hour, it
seems to get firmer, and if left overnight (in fridge of course) it will start
to "weep" - just pour off liquid.

---------
Tofu "chicken" stirfry

When I first bought silken tofu, I didn't know what I was doing, but I put it
in the freezer (in the box) as I'd read that it changes the consistency.   It
does, nicely.

1) Thaw box of frozen tofu, and open.
2) Squeeze out water with your hands.
3) Shred the tofu with a knife or other tool...into bite sized peices.
4) Squirt soy sauce and  shake powdered ginger  into pieces.
5) add to stirfried vegetables.  Many carnivours would not recognize this as
tofu, since the soy sauce colors and the ginger flavors.

I have an ff stirfry sauce that came from the Argo cornstarch box years ago,
but bottles sauces are readily available now.

That's it for me - Julie in Kalamazoo - where the raspberries and blueberries
are at the roadstands.