Re: Pastry flour

Carma Wrote:
>Lynne - Whole wheat pastry flour is ground finer than regular ww flour

Actually the way that I have always understood it is that soft and hard
wheat  when ground make pastry whole wheat flour and regular wholewheat
flour.  I buy my wheat berries whole and the soft and hard wheat are a
different shape and when ground the hard wheat looks darker (more bran
looking).

The difference between "hard" and "soft" wheat is that hard wheat has a
higher protein content (this is useful for things such as bread which
require protein to rise.  Soft wheat is lower in protein and makes a better
flour in things such as cookies, cakes and pastries where a high protein
level can cause the product to be tough.

Hope this helps,

Steph