RECIPE: Scrambled Tofu (VEGAN)

Sally.LYSAGHT@xxxxxxxxxxx said:

>      I really love the thought of having a big cooked breakfast on the
>      weekends but unfortunately in the UK we don't seem to have any egg
>      substitues that you all talk about. I once heard someone say that you
>      can make scrambled tofu instead???

Hello Sally,

Here's my scrambled tofu recipe. I usually use 1/4 tsp olive oil to cook
the onion, but I have also tested it without, so this is the version I've
put below. I also sometimes use soya lecithin in the sauce, but it doesn't
really make much difference, and lecithin is fat, so not allowed here.

I think it's the dill and nutritional yeast that make this taste like
eggs. I'm in the UK as well - I use Engevita nutritional yeast distributed
by Marigold, from my local health food shop. I use Sainsbury's own-brand
plain tofu - it's best if the tofu hasn't been frozen.

If you don't know about sauteeing in vegetable stock, see
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~corp0141/Cooking/Lowfat/Techniques/saute.html

Kate

------------------
* Scrambled Tofu *
------------------

Serves 1-2

     * 2 tbsp finely-chopped onion
     * vegetable stock to saute
     * 1/2 pack (150g, 5oz) plain tofu (not silken), grated
     * 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
     * 1/8 tsp garlic granules
     * 1/4 tsp dried dill
     * salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste

   1. Using a non-stick pan, gently saute the onion in a little vegetable
   stock until softened but not browned.

   2. Add the tofu and stirfry for about another 10 minutes.

   3. Meanwhile, mix the nutritional yeast, garlic granules and dill with
   a few tbsp water to form a thinnish sauce. Season with plenty of salt
   and pepper.

   4. Add the sauce to the pan and stir and cook until the liquid is gone
   and the scrambled tofu is fairly dry.

   5. Serve on toast.

--
I like red wine that doesn't make my mouth hurt.
Kake Lemon Pugh - http://users.ox.ac.uk/~corp0141/index.html