Grain Bread for Bread Machines

I make this bread every week. I'll give you the original recipe with notes
on changes I've made. It is delicious, hearty, and cuts very nicely for
sandwiches.

Multi-Grain and Seed Bread

1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 cup 7 or 12 grain cereal (hot cereal, I use the 12)
Cook these on the stove until thick and add to the water below

1 1/4 cups water (room temp is fine)
2 Tbs Oil (I omit...the loaf is a bit smaller, but tastes the same)
1 1/2 Tbs lemon juice or vinegar
2 1/2 Tbs molasses or honey (I love the dark molasses)
1 1/2 tsp salt (I omitted once and it tasted bland)
3 cups whole wheat flour (I prefer 1 cup unbleached white and 2 whole wheat)
2 1/2 Tbs gluten flour (for strenghth)
4 Tbs bran flakes
2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (I used 3 tsp when I left out the oil)

Cook the cereal as indicated above. Pour the water and the cereal mix into
the bread machine. Add in order:
oil
lemon juice
molasses
salt

Plop flours (both kinds) on top of this making sure to cover the salt and
water completely so it doesn't interfere with the yeast.

Make a little "bowl" in the flour and add the yeast.

Put it on the whole wheat cycle.

If it has a second kneading cycle at that time add any combination of the
following. The original calls for 5 Tbs. I use a full cup for a very hearty
bread. However, if you're trying for no fat, omit or use sparingly:

poppy seeds
flax seeds
sunflower seeds
pumpkin seeds
sesame seeds
pine nuts (imparts a very interesting flavor. I had extras so I used some.
Very good.)
Oatmeal (not instant...this usually makes up half of the cup)

You could also add sprouted seeds if you wanted to, making sure they were
very dry before adding them. This recipe really holds up well to
experimenting.

This makes a large, delicious loaf of bread. Like I said, the oil is
optional and you can go easy on the seeds for lower fat. However, even with
a full cup of seeds and oatmeal, I don't think you're adding a lot of fat
per serving. I usually just eat one slice cut in half for a sandwich
because it is such a hearty bread. It's also wonderful with soup for
sopping up the bottom of the bowl.
Take care,

Tory Klementsen                     teechur@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://pages.prodigy.net/ms_disney
http://www.geocities.com/athens/oracle/1725

For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord.
Plans to prosper you and not to harm you.
Plans to give you a future and a hope.
Jeremiah 29:11