Re: FATFREE Digest V98 #140

Thanks, Jan for the tasty sounding pancake recipes from the Bionic Woman.

>Adapted from _The High Road to Health_, Lindsay Wagner and Ariane Spade.

>Pour 1?$ cup

At first this measurement annoyed me, then I had a real good chuckle as i
realized it was the all caps version of 1/4 C....Thanks, Jan, I needed a
good chuckle at myself!!

>1 1/4 low fat soy milk

I suppose the measurement is 1 1/4 C??

Jessica wrote: Aren't the days of a woman having to cook what a man
*expects* gone?
>Maybe I'm just completely out of it.

I don't think you are completely out of it, Jessica.  But, sadly, there are
still a lot of women who buy into the idea that they have to meet someone's
expectations for who they are, rather experience the freedom to be
themselves and express themselves as they see fit.  And when I go to the
trouble to prepare a meal, whoever is privileged to be offered it has the
choice of eating it or preparing his or her own meal.

I made this for dinner last night, I was very tasty:

Gimme Lean Sloppy Joes

6 oz box of sliced mushrooms
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 thingy Gimme Lean
1 15 oz can Contadina tomato sauce
1 t prepared horseradish
1 t prepared mustard (pretty spicy)
2 T salsa
1/8 c white vinegar
Tabasco to taste
Worcestershire to taste (yes the vegetarian kind)

I probably should have browned the Gimme Lean first but I didn't.
Ingedients went into the pan in the order listed.  When I got to the GL, I
realized the error of my ways, but I succeeded in mushing it up and making
it look as if it had been browned.  Then I dumped in the rest of the stuff
and let it simmmer through until the 3rd commercial of STAR TREK:Voyager.
I dished it up onto a toasted bun.  Specifically Miltons Healthy Muti-grain
No Fat buns, found at Costco.  Then I ate it.  Was excellent, tangy and
exactly what I had in mind.  I believe I will have to explore the use of
prepared horseradish in more recipes.

Here is something I posted to another list a while back, and I am wondering
if there are any ways to slim down a recipe I may have overlooked  I was
aiming for as comprehensive a list as possible.   I would deeply appreciate
any of you filling in anything I may have missed.

How to lightened the fat load of recipes:

1) for sour cream, substitute non fat yogurt.  Some report using the no-fat
sour creams.  i don't like them becasue they taste sweet, not sour to me.
Yogurt is tart and I like that

2) for cream cheese, substitue an equal amount of yogurt cheese.  Merely
plop the yogurt into a hunk of cheese cloth, coffee filter, or whatever and
let the whey drain out.  I drain it into a bowl and then i save the whey to
use in making soup stock or to replace liquid in bread and other recipes.

3) cream soups are notoriously high in fat and sodium.  I don't use them.
I do several things in place of cream of something soup.

If the creaminess is wanted, I might use non fat evaporated milk.  it works
perfectly as a substitute for cream.

Instead of cream of something soup, I double or triple the amount of
veggies called for and puree 1/2 to 2/3 of it.  So if i wanted cream of
mushroom soup, i might cook 1 lb of mushrooms in a little borth, or stick
it in the microwave, then puree 1/2 of it or more.  ditto with celery etc.

instead of cream of chicken soup, I use nutritional yeast flakes, sometimes
sold in health food stores as torula yeast or even as Brewer's yeast.  But
some Brewer's yeast is really brewer's yeast and I don;'t recommend it.  If
it's flakes and of a sickly greenish color, you have the right stuff.

About the cream of something or other soups....here's a recipe posted in
the past on this list for a homemade substitute with the notes of the
original poster first.

Cream of Whatever Soup mix

   2      C             powdered milk
     3/4  C             cornstarch
     1/4  C             instant chicken bouillon granules
   2      t             dried onion flakes
   1      t             crushed dried thyme
   1      t             basil - crushed dried
     1/2  t             pepper

To make 1 can soup,  take 1/3 C mix and 1 C water, cook and stir until
thickened.

Here's a recipe for a MIX you can use to substitute for Cream of Chicken or
Mushroom soup in your recipes.  I have found it to be much less expensive
than the cans and it still freezes beautifully!

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When I  made this, I have used the product called "Better than Boullion"
which is vegetarian, but comes in beef, chicken, and veggie "flavors".  To
substitute it for cream of celery or cream, of mushroom soup, I cook some
celery or mushrooms a bit in the 1 C water and then add the mix and cook
and stir.   I like it because it is both cheap, has much less sodium than
those soups (if using a low-sodium boullion) and presumbaly has less of
those whatever they are that are added to canned soups.

4) in soups, casseroles etc, if the recipe says to saute onions or
whatever, i never ever do it.  I might microwave them first.  Or I might
just dump them into the recipe with everything else.

5) use more of the ingredients in the recipe instead of fats.  For example,
some posted what sounded like a very tasty Mexican cornbread recipe this
week.  But it calls for 2/3 C oil for only 8 servings.  I would never put
in that much oil.  Since that recipe called for creamed corn, I would use
more creamed corn instead of the oil.  I made some really terrific cream of
eggplant soup once by simply using twice as much eggplant.

6) I never use margarine or Pam or stuff like that.    I have not trusted
those hydrongenated oils ever.  I use a good quality, cold expelled virgin
olive oil, a teeny teeny amount and I swash it around in the pan until the
pan is covered. I have a pastry brish dedicated to this use which lives in
a plastic bag in ther frig.

7) I love cheese in recipes, but I don;t like all the fat in cheese.  so
what i do is use less of the strongest possible tasting cheese I can find.
If a recipe says 1C cheddar, I'll use 1/4 extra sharp.  In fact I will sub
extra sharp cheddar for any recipe that calls for Jack, colby, longhorn
etc.  In those milder flavored cheeses, I have to use a lot to get a cheese
flavor.

8) instead of chicken or beef stock, I use veggie stock that i make myself
by saving the peels and other trimmings of veggie.  I dump them into a
bread bag and when it's ful;l, i dump them into the crockpot along with
some onion, celery, carrots, lotsa garlic, herbs, etc and let that cook .
I discard the veggies and i have tasty stock.

9) for thise who do eat chicken and meat: To defat chicken stock if you
have boiled the chicken, let the stock cool then refrigerate it.  The fat
will rise to the surface and solidify and you can pick it off with a spoon
and feed it to your cats.  Some people on this list boil their ground beef
instead of frying it.  drain that and let the fat rise in the frig too and
use it in soup.

10) In sweet baked goods, an equal amount of applesauce or prune puree can
be used instead of oil.    I have also been told that in other recipes,
where a sweet taste is not wanted, such as some breads, that grated
zucchini can be substitued for fats.  I haven;t tried that myself.

--
Gloriamarie, writing to you from San Diego where the return of Perefect
Weather is most welcome!!

"The moral is, build up that stash. You never know when you're
going to need to knit a scarf for the Dalai Lama." Jean Miles, Edinburgh
mailto:gma@xxxxxxxx