spices

Something that might help, and please excuse me if you're already doing
this, is add a little bit of the spices and taste if you go along.  Then
add some more if it seems too bland.  I assume that you're talking about
hot peppers and stuff like cumin in bean dishes here.  You could also add
fresh bullion / cubes / powder or whatever to the cooking liquid (the
powder is handy if you're doing a little "sauteing" in water.  This gives
it a good flavor that isn't spicy, and you could use meat flavors -
especially since you're new to "breaking the habit".

Good luck,

Elizabeth