apple sauce/apple butter

I have processed three 1/2 bushels of apples this way this year

Note: because of hail damage, the farmer did not spray the trees this year, so
I did not peel the apples.

Wash and quarter apples (do not need to seed)

pour cider to just cover bottom of "turkey" roasting pan (need to use top and
bottom for 1/2 bushel)

add apples; cover (with foil)

bake at 350 till soft - a few hours

process with food mill (I use Foley brand from local hardware store)

can - 15 minutes water bath; or freeze in bags - whatever suits your storage
availablility.

to make apple butter, (from Hollyhocks and Radishes - by Bonnie Stewart
Mickelson)
-3 quarts apple sauce (from 10 lbs apples)
- 3 cups sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
(juice of 2 lemons)

stir together, bake in roasting pan for 6 - 8 hours, stir every hour or so.
to can, water bath 10 minutes, or freeze

easy, and good - if you don't stir, will develop fruit leather on top - great
for 4 year olds on crackers, or stir in.