yams/fatfree meats/a recipe

 On yams vs. sweet potatoes-- regardless of what we have learned to called
them, all the sweet potatoes grown in the U.S., and I venture to say,
virtually all that are sold here are, indeed, sweet potatoes.  I have never
seen a true yam, they are native to some parts of Mexico and Africa, and
probably a few other places.

Regarding fatfree meats, this is an inappropriate topic of discussion on a
vegetarian discussion list.

This is a favorite in my house, from _Fat Free & Delicious_ by Siegel.  He
calls it--
Creamy Yam Soup

5 cups stock or water
8 cups yams, peeled and chopped
2 large carrots, roughly chopped
2 large celery stalks, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (I like  a teaspoon or more)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Bring stock or water to a boil
Add all ingredients
Boil until all veggies are soft, approximately 30 minutes
Let cool slightly, place in a blender or food processor, a batch at a time
and blend until smooth
Return to pot, keep warm on low heat for 15 minutes.

This is very rich tasting and a great start to an autumn dinner, maybe even
T'day dinner.
Jan G