Ornish diet experience

Ngp1955@xxxxxxx (do you have a name?) asked:

> Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has lost a considerable
> amount of weight following Dr. Dean Ornish's eating plan which is
> pretty much an ovo-lacto vegetarian diet.

plus *very-low-fat* intake!  I read the Ornish book "Eat More, Weigh Less"
under pressure from my daughter because it sounded like yet another "diet
book."  Been there, done that, just regain the weight and more, so don't do
that any more.  I was so impressed with what Ornish said that I went on his
diet to be more healthy; losing any weight would just be an extra, even though
I was 50 pounds overweight.  Didn't count anything up, just changed my ways to
eat lots of legumes and grains plus veggies, no added fat, no flesh, nuts,
seeds, or avocados.   I evolved ways to prepare my food without spending much
time in the kitchen.  I ate as much of everything as I wanted to.  My
late-night snack often became a bowl of (cooked) frozen corn or spinach!  I
occasionally used sweetening such jelly or syrup and drank a (non-diet) coke
every day.  Wow!  Everything I ate was fantastically delicious and I lost
weight steadily, about one pound a week for 5 months.

Then I decided to plateau my weight and began adding a little fat once a day.
I have continued to lose weight very slowly, maybe one pound a month, since
then.  When all those lovely veggies start growing this summer, I will drop
the fat addition and expect to lose the remaining weight I need to.

I highly recommend Dean Ornish.  I later bought his book "Everyday Low-Fat
Cooking: 150 Easy Recipes" (or something like that) which has many more how-to
tips for low-fat cooking than the "Eat More" book (that one focuses more on
"why" with some "how").  "Everyday" has been really useful too.

Go for it!

BTW would the person on this list who makes silk quilts please contact me
again?

--
Riki Darling
Spinner, Knitter, Navajo Weaver, Dyer, and Idea Enthusiast