cornbread/deviled eggs/relish

Hello...Have been off computer for a bit due to breakdowns, internet supplier
problems,
and vacation.  Am working my way through 612 letters from just the last 10 days!

I am enjoying the cornbread/deviled egg/relish letters.  We don't use eggs as all
so for
a substitute for the deviled eggs we fill short sections of celery and cherry
tomatoes
with hummus.  I like someone else wrote, add that little bit of tahini too.

We don't use relish...I guess I always thought it was just chopped pickles either
sweet
or dill, so just chopped accordingly to the taste I wanted.  Am learning about
relish now!
We like bread and butter pickles chopped and added to out tuna-less sald...shell
macaroni,
onion, peas, celery,  ff mayo, chopped canned artichoke hearts and bits of orange
cheese...
we use a soy version. Let marinate...make day ahead of time.

We make a see-food salad with chopped dill pickles added to shell macaroni,
onions,
celery, canned drained black-eye peas, ff mayo.  Add shredded carrots for the
pink "crab"
color.  Let marinate.  When I take this to a pot luck it looks extra nice with
thinly sliced
black olives stirred in.  As with the tuna-less salad, make a day ahead of time
for
best flavors.

When we make our pseudo-Vienna red hots, we again chop up bread and butter
pickles
to top our veggie dog, add onion, tomato, mustard, hot peppers, sauerkraut, AND a
big
slice of a kosher dill pickle on top.  Serve with lots of napkins.

We make an acceptable cornbread, meaning no leftovers, just by substituting like
crazy
with a regular recipe.  I have had luck replacing the oil/fat with smooth (as
opposed to
chunky) applesauce.  I also use Ener-G egg replacer in place of the eggs and ff
soy milk
in stead of milk.  Yes, I do add sugar, but I think I will not now that I have
read about
real cornbread.  And I have always wanted one of those cast iron shape pan
thingies
to cook the cornbread in...someday.  I increase the baking powder, by the way, up
5 teaspoons (Rumford brand).  I ordered a bag of blue cornmeal a couple months
ago and am looking forward to trying it soon.

Thanks again for all the anecdotes and info.  We just came back from Easter
vacation
in Virginia.  The children tried grits for the first time, along with okra.
They  also had
sweet potato french-fries...I don't know it that is Southern or just
imaginative?!

Bye...Elizabeth