My 2cents about smoothies

Hi:
I keep frozen bananas for smoothies on hand at all times. It's been a great discovery for me, because I hate bananas when they even have a few brown spots on the peel. I do chunk them before freezing, because my blender won't handle big frozen pieces. Any other frozen fruit is good too (cantaloupe, peaches, berries, literally anything), but the banana is what makes it really creamy.

I also use soy powder. The trick here is to add it at the last minute and barely blend it. If you overblend the soy powder you get a big gloppy mess.

I've also added a dash of flaxseed oil that I just happened to have on hand. Sounds gross, but you'd never even know it was there as long as you don't' go overboard.

Sandy

While we're talking about smoothies --

I take my ripe bannanas, peel them and wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. They
may turn a litttle brown after a few weeks, but are still delicious and make
extra thick frozen smoothies.
My favorite is:

3/4 cup rice/soy milk
1/2 or 1 whole frozen bannana
1/2 cup blueberries - fresh or frozen
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Whir all in blender until smooth

--

Sandy Gambill
Sr. Academic Technology Development Analyst