Re: FATFREE Digest V99 #163

In a message dated 6/15/99 7:22:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
fatfree-request@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<
 Just a question/comment on the miso soup just posted....
 I am wondering if the

 2-4 pieces of Wakame

 might not be 2-4 pieces of kombu

 instead.  Simmering wakame for 20-30 minutes seems really strange to
 me.  It's great in miso soup but you usually add it just for a few minutes
 of cooking at the end. >>

You are correct, the Wakame could be added at the end..  and would be
fresher. On the other hand, Ive never had a problem adding it at the
beginning either if I was serving it right away.
And yes, I do know what Kombu is..and no, I didn't wish to use it in that
recipe.
When I wrote it, it was a long time ago. These days, I make the same recipe
without the wakame or the  miso..because it keeps better in the fridge...and
only add those things when I am about to eat it..
I prefer the Dark Miso's with the sweetness of the Winter Squash, but yes, a
light Miso is interesting too.
              Merrick