Lentil Stew

Not sure whether I've already sent this to the list, but I made this for
lunch today and it's wonderful.  It's nasty and rainy in New Jersey and this
hit the spot -- very thick and hearty.  Originally came from Parade Magazine
(Sunday supplement of my local newspaper) and adjusted to be FF.

Lentil Stew

2 cups coarsely chopped onions
2 cups diced carrots (1/2")
1 tblsp minced garlic
2 tsp ground cumin
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
4 cups broth (I used 1 cup veg broth plus 3 cups water)
1 can (28oz) chopped tomatoes with juices
1 tblsp brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick (~3" long)
1/2 cup dried barley, rinsed
1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt, for garnish

Saute & cook onions and carrots for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add
garlic and cook 2 minutes more, stirring. Add cumin and cook 1 minute more.
Add lentils, broth, tomatoes and juices, brown sugar, and cinnamon stick.
Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat slightly, and cook for 5 minutes
partially covered. Add barley, cover partially, and cook for 45 minutes,
stirring occasionally.  Stir in parsley and season to taste with salt and
pepper. Serve in shallow bowls with a dollop of yogurt.  [I eliminated salt,
pepper, and yogurt and it still tasted great!]