Re: Potato Cakes

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 03:22:41 -0700, you wrote:

>Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 23:08:55 EDT
>From: "Lorie Christmas" <bluxmas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Potato Cakes
>
>Hi everyone, my mother in law makes these things that she calls potato
>cakes.  They are so good, but not so good also.  Unfortunately when I asked
>for the recipe, I found out that she takes mashed potatoes, an egg, and
>flour.  She adds the egg to the potatoes and adds flour until it is thick
>and kinda stiff.  She forms them and fries them.  They look like pancakes.
>I was wondering if anyone has a FF recipe for this or has ever tried making
>it with egg substitute and cooking spray.  I dont want to waste if it doesnt
>come out good.  Thanks so much.

   Potato pancakes are good, aren't they?  I like them.  :)

   You can just use egg whites instead of whole eggs:
substitute 2 egg whites for one egg.  Egg whites are fatfree
- all the fat is in the yolk.   (Eggbeaters and similar
substitutes taste unpleasant to me and they're expensive.)

   I haven't actually made potato pancakes this way, but I
use this substitution in all my cooking - all baked goods,
regular pancakes, etc. - and it works fine, I'm sure it
would be fine with the potato pancakes too.  Actually, I use
a convenient product called "Just Whites" - which consists
of dried egg whites.  But before I discovered it, I just
used egg whites and threw away the yolks.

   I think the cooking spray would work OK, with a decent
non-stick pan.

Cheers,
Pat Meadows