salad peppers

Twice this summer I have been given some large long yellow salad
peppers and would like to slice and pickle them like the ones
they have in the sandwich shops.

the only recipes I have been able to find are to put 2 slits in
each pepper and pickle them whole. The recipes also called for
horseradish which I thought strange.

Anyone ever pickle peppers? I know Peter Piper pickled peppers -
BUT - what kind of pickle peppers did Peter Piper pickle-

OOPS sorry got carried away!