Oatmeal Pancakes

1. 3 egg whites
2. 1 cup of oatmeal
3. Dash vanilla extract
4. 1 tsp cinnamon
5. 1 package Equal
6. 2 tbsp. fat free pancake mix
7. 3 tbsp. low sugar preserves
Mix all ingredients in blender except preserves. Preheat a 6" Teflon® pan
with Pam Vegetable spray on medium heat. Pour mixture into pan, cook
approximately 4-5 minutes. Turn cake over with spatula. Cook approximately
3-4 more minutes or until inside of cake is cooked. Place preserves (any
type of strawberry works best) over pancake and serve.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Cinnamon Frittata

Required servings cooked cream rice
Required number of egg whites uncooked
1. 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
2. 1/4 tsp. coconut extract (or almond extract).
3. 1/4 tsp. Molly McButter
4. 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
5. 3 packages of Equal
Preheat 6" teflon pan that has been sprayed with Pam Vegetable Spray over
medium heat. Mix cream of rice, extracts & Equal together. Fold into egg
whites and mix together well. Pour mixture into pan, cover. Cook 5-10
minutes (until solid), turn over, sprinkle with Molly McButter and cinnamon.
Cook one more minute.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Yam Pancakes

1. 3 egg whites
2. 1/2 cup of oatmeal
3. Dash vanilla extract
4. 3 tbsp. fat free pancake mix
5. 1/2 of a mashed yam
6. 1/4 cup skim milk
7. 2 tsp. maple extract
8. 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
9. 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Place all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Preheat non-stick Teflon®
pan to medium heat and spray with Pam Vegetable Spray. Pour pancake mixture
into size pancakes desired and cook until edges are dry. Turn over and brown
other side.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I found this recipe in 'The High-Fiber Cookbook' by Pamela Westland
(foreword by Nathan Pritikin)1982. Old book but some good high fiber recipes
if you watch the fat content!

Muesli Base

Serves 4 Per Serving: 120 Calories, 2 fat grams, 4 grams fiber

75 g / 1 cup rolled oats
15g / 1/4 cup bran
15 g / 1/2 cup wheat germ
25 g / 1/4 cup Bran flakes

Mix these dry ingredients together to make 4 generous 1/2 cup servings.

The base can be varied daily by simply adding grated apple, a selection of
fresh or dried fruits, nuts or vegetables, and serving it with cold milk,
unsweetened lemon, orange, apple or grape juice, or low-fat plain yogurt.

-------

Toasted Muesli

Serves 6 Per Serving 160 Calories, 8 grams fat, 3 grams fiber

1 recipe Muesli base
15 ml / 1 tbsp clear honey
15 ml / 1 tbsp brown sugar
10 ml / 2 tsps vegetable oil, e.g. sunflower
few drops vanilla
50 g / 1/2 cup mixed nuts, chopped

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Put the honey and sugar into a small pan over
low heat and stir until they dissolve. Remove the pan from the heat, add the
oil, vanilla and nuts and stir in the muesli base.

Spread the muesli on a baking tray and bake for about 20 mins, stirring
occasionally so that it browns evenly. Allow to cool on the tray. Serve with
fresh or dried fruits and more nuts. This muesli can be stored in a covered
jar.

-----------

Toasted Muesli - Now..my modifications. To make it lower fat.

I used Butter Buds mixed in water in place of the vegetable oil and mixed
this in with the honey and brown sugar in the pan. I used 1 Tablespoon of
butter bud mix and 2 tablespoons of water. In place of the nuts, I used
roasted soy nuts to make it healthier.

When toasting this, I just sprayed a cookie sheet with Olive Oil Pam and
then spread the mix out evenly. I then sprayed the top of the mix lightly
with the Olive Oil Pam just in case it needed some oil to brown. I put this
in the oven for 6 mins and it was getting pretty brown. I stirred it well
and sprayed just a little more Pam and put back in the oven. I sat the timer
for 5 mins and it was trying to burn on me. I took it out and stirred well
and let it sit. So, that is all the cooking my batch got but it turned out
very good. Great toasted munchy treat and great in plain yogurt.

Today, I was down to 1/2 cup of oatmeal and that is not enough for Kalan and
me. I added 1/2 cup of this Toasted Muesli to the oatmeal (Quaker Oats,
Quick 1 minute cook type) and cooked the 1 minute like the container calls
for on the Oatmeal container. I also added another tablespoon of honey and a
teaspoon sugar. It came out VERY GOOD!! Even Kalan loved it. I have to
sweeten it up a little or he will not eat it, LOL!!

This will definitely be a part of our breakfast in the future.

Hope you enjoy it too if you try it.
Connie

NetZero - Defenders of the Free World