Grilled Shiitake And Tofu

We stir fried this on the grill in a grill bowl that we sprayed with nonstick spray first. Also, I squeezed and drained the tofu before marinating it. Very nice.

Kathleen

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                        Grilled Shiitake And Tofu

Recipe By     : Minneapolis Star and Tribune, 8/98 - adapted
Categories    : Grilling                         Main Dishes, Vegetarian
                Soyfoods                         Vegetables

     1/4  cup           tamari sauce
     1/4  cup           dry Sherry
   1      bunch         green onions -- diced
   1                    garlic cloves -- minced, up to 4
     1/4  teaspoon      cayenne
   1      tablespoon    brown sugar or honey
   1      teaspoon      minced fresh ginger root
   2      pounds        firm-style tofu
  20                    shiitake mushrooms -- with stems

To make marinade, combine tamari and Sherry in flat-bottomed bowl. Add diced onion, garlic, cayenne, sugar and ginger. Stir. Set aside half of the marinade. Cube the tofu and soak in the remaining mixture for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Prepare the coals in a grill. Put mushrooms and tofu on skewers. Place over hot coals for 10 to 15 minutes, regularly flipping and drizzling with additional marinade. To eat, hold the mushroom by the stem and eat the cap. (The stem isn't edible -- the cap is woody and juicy.) Serve with grilled asparagus, summer squash or other vegetables. Serves 4.

original recipe used oil in the marinade