Re: seitan 'chicken" mix

> Just recvd. my order from the Mail Co. I purchased seitan "chicken"
> mix (powder). However, no instructions for reconstituting were
> included.

There's usually on a separate piece of paper, probably folded up
with your order sheet.

 Can someone help?

Sure! Here's the directions for the "Chicken":

1 1/2 cups dry mix
1 cup water
oil to taste (I never add this)

Mix all very quickly and thoroughly, being sure that all the dry mix is
moistened. Knead from 3 to 8 minutes. Divide into 18 - 24 balls,
flatten into cutlets and simmer in 8 cups vegetable stock for an hour.

Drain and cool before using.

Can be used in chicken-style salads, enchiladas, and tacos;
marinated for outdoor barbeques; or added to chili, stir-fries, or
casseroles.

Ingredients: Vital wheat gluten, non-soy bean flours, low-salt
vegetarian broth seasonings, HVP with no added MSG.

I usually make mine using a Kitchenaide-type mixer and the
kneading hook. An older recipe I had from a package of Bro.
Pikarski's seitan mix says to let the seitan rest for at least 5 minutes
before forming into shapes. In my case that really helped to cut
down on the stickiness on my hands.

Sue in NJ
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/4195/veg.htm