Olive question

I'm starting to get over my fear of olives.  I've always pushed whole olives away if they come in a salad I get at a restaurant, but recently I had a deelish vegan pizza here in NY and it had teeny, tiny bits of olives and I really enjoyed the bit of zip that they added.  I'm still not ready for a plateful of whole sour olives, though.  Too intense.  So my question is:  are there different kinds of olives like there are peppers, with varying flavors?  Would someone tell me what the mildest-tasting olive is?  I'd like to try adding little bits to salads, etc., but I want to start out slow ;-)

Thanks!