foaming in pressure cookers

>Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 07:51:43 EST
>From: RBrown9213@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: foaming in pressure cookers
>
>excellent advice. Funny thing is, I have a pressure cooker I purchased two
>years ago and haven't used (I'm afraid of it!), and I did buy the Lorna Sass
>book, which I haven't even cracked as yet. Shame on me!

I don't think baking powder would help, I see no reason why
it would.

But WTP:  what's the problem?  I use my pressure cookers (2
of them) constantly, I follow Lorna's directions.  I
generally do add a tablespoon of oil when cooking beans:
but probably don't need to (just with beans alone, I don't
do it when cooking soup).  I've never seen any particular
evidence of 'foaming.'  What foaming?

I don't regard that as 'eating' the oil, but as part of the
cooking...heh.

Anyway, PLEASE read Lorna's wonderful book and PLEASE try
your pressure cooker out.  It is just a marvelous timesaver.
I can't rave about them enough.  :)

Please don't be afraid of it:  especially if it's one of the
newer second-generation pressure cookers (no jiggle top).
They have three totally separate pressure releases, and are
very very safe, and very easy to use.  But even the older
type are safe - in fact, I grew up with one, my mother used
it constantly.  As do millions of people throughout the
world.

For a while, I just followed specific pressure cooker
recipes in mine, but now I'm getting to the point where I'm
adapting old favorite recipes - and spending *far* less time
cooking them, for equally good results.  If I had to give up
all but one of the following:  microwave, crockpot, pressure
cooker:  I'd keep the pressure cooker, for sure.  It would
be tougher if the food processor were added to the list...
that would be an agonizing decision.

Cheers,
Pat