Rice Casserole with Pine Nuts

Just finished preparing this fabulous casserole and now I can smell the most
wonderful aroma from the oven.
Thought I would share it with you!

Rice Casserole with Pine Nuts.
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red or green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch squares
1 large carrot quartered lengthwise and chopped (this time I am using sweet
potato instead and it is a lovely alternative)
3 small ribs celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp thyme
1 tsp. dill weed
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp. salt
1 cup long grain brown rice (Today I am using a blended wild rice , nummy
yum in my tummy)
1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1/4 cup currants or raisins
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use whatever replacement you use for oil and
lightly coat the bottom of an 8X10 baking dish.
In a large skillet heat oil replacement (apple juice is quite nice with
this) over medium high heat. Add vegetables, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, dill
weed and 1/4 cup parsley, and cook, stirring often, 6 minutes. Add paprika,
salt and rice. Cook, stirring 1 minute. Add tomatoes, water and currents or
raisins, bring to a simmer.
Transfer to prepared baking dish; cover and bake until rice is tender, about
1.5 hours . Toss with pine nuts or almonds and remaining parsley. Serve
warm, makes 6 servings.