thickening

I prefer to thicken with flour.  It is simple - put some flour in a small
bowl and add a little cold water..... the cold water should be enough to make
a paste.... work the paste until it is smooth and thick, and then add a
little more water at a time until the mixture is easily pourable and satin
smooth.  Stir the hot liquid that you are thickening as you add the mixture
to the pot. Bring the liquid almost to a boil and the thickening will be
evident.  You can adjust thickness by adding more flour-water mixture.  This
same method works for corn starch and other thickeners such as arrowroot.
This is how I make gravy:
Soak 6 dried mushroom in 2 cups of hot water until soft.  Drian water from
mushroom, saving it for gravy.  Discard stems of dried mushrooms and coarsely
chop the caps.  Saute 1/2 lb of sliced mushroom in a little water with S&P.
When mushroom are soft and the liquid is about evaporated, add the mushroom
liquid you have saved, along with the chopped caps. Cook until very hot.
Make a flour or cornstarch mixture to thicken and when thick, taste for
seasoning.  Sometimes I add a little tamari or some veggie worchestershire
sauce or a little sherry.
Enjoy
Kay