Re: Barley, Shiitake And Spinach Pilaf

On Mon 12 Feb 2001, RBrown9213@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Kathleen, could you advise where the purchase whole fresh soybeans
> and how to prepare them, generally?

I'm not Kathleen, but I'd advise looking in Chinese or Japanese
supermarkets. My local Chinese supermarket has them frozen, and
they're delicious. Fresh soya beans are known as "edamame" (pronounced
edd-uh-mar-may) in Japanese and are a popular snack with drinks; to
serve in this way, boil the whole pod in highly salted water, then
"pop" them out of the pod into your mouth.

A google search (http://www.google.com/) on "edamame" brings up lots
of interesting info.

Kake