Mother Wolff Soup

Here is the recipe for Mother Wolff Soup for those who requested it again.
In parenthesis are substitutions or omitions because I didn't have the
ingredients on hand.  Jan who sent it in said it is markedly better the
second day - there are left overs so I'll find out, but its very good the
first day!

MOTHER WOLFF SOUP (from Sundays at Moosewood)

4 quarts water
1/2 cup dried lima beans, soaked overnight with water to cover or brought to
a boil and then soaked for 1 hr.  (I used navy beans and increased to 1 cup -
soaked over night)
1/2 cup uncooked rice or 1 cup cooked rice  (I used brown rice uncooked,
closer to 1 cup)
1/2 cup barley (omit, didn't have on hand)
3 - 4 large cloves garlic, minced
1 T. dried dill weed (omit, didn't have on hand)
1 bay leaf
------------------------------
1 cup diced onions
1 cup chopped celery
spritz of oil spray (or whatever you saute in)
1 T. sweet Hungarian paprike
1 cup diced potatoes
1 cup diced sweet potatoes or carrots  ( used 1 cup diced s.p. and 1 large
carrot)
1/2 tsp. salt
several pinches ground black pepper
1 cup green beans or peas, fresh or frozen (used 1 cup frozen mixed
peas,carrots)
________________
1 cup chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned, or tomato sauce (I used left over
tomato paste and tomato sauce)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, optional (omit)

In a large soup pot, combine water, limas, rice, barley, garlic, dill and bay
leaf and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2
hrs, adding more water if needed as the limas and barley absorb liquid.

When the soup has been simmering about an hour, prepare the vegetables.  In a
large frying pan, saute the onions and celery in the oil (or whatever) for a
few minutes.  Sprinkle in the paprika.  Add the potatoes, sweet
potatoes/carrots salt and pepper.  Cover and cook for a few minutes, stirring
frequently.  Stir in the green beans or peas and continue to cook for a few
more minutes until just tender.  Set aside.
(Jan said she skipped the saute step and just tossed all the veggies in the
pot and let it simmer together.  I did saute.)

Stir the soup and remove the bay leaf.  Add the sauteed vegetables, the
tomatoes, the parsley if desired and more salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer,
covered on a very low heat for 1 1/2 or more hrs, stirring occasionally to
prevent sticking.

Leftovers will keep for several days, refrigerated.  When reheating you may
need to add boiling water if the soup has become too thick.

Barbara in FL