applesauce

To the person interested in applesauce in baking, I recently read that if you
took the measured amount of applesauce and strained it through a fine
strainer to get the liquid out, it helps to keep that lightness in your
baking. I plan to try it this week as I got tip from Cooking Light magazine
and it was in one of their recipes.

Also, Dean Ornish has a fabulous carrot-cauliflower soup in his "Everyday
Cooking with Dan Ornish" book-It is an excellent book, by the way:

Carrot-Cauliflower soup with Tarragon:

1 cup finely diced onion
2 1/4 cups vegetable broth, more if needed
1 1/2 lbs carrots peeled and cut in 1/2 inch dice
3/4 lb russet-type baking potatoes, peeled and cut 1/2 inch dice
1 lb cauliflower, in small florets
2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon (I have left it out and it's still good)
salt & pepper

In large saucepan, combine onion and 1/4 cup veg broth. Bring to simmer,
covered, over moderate heat and simmer until onion is softened, about 5 mins.
Add carrots, potatoes, another 2 cups of veg broth and 2 cups water. Bring to
boil. Cover, adjust heat to maintain a simmer and cook 5 mins. Add
cauliflower, cover, and simmer until all the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20
mins. Cool slightly, puree in food processor or blender until smooth. Return
soup to pot, add tarragon, thin if desired with additional broth. Season,
reheat and serve.

Serving size: 2 cups
Calories: 126
Fat: 0.04